cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remove an interface from spanning tree?

hoffa2000
Level 3
Level 3

Hello folks

We have a triangle shaped L2 network with three 6513 switches and spanning tree enabled on all vlans to handle loop configuration. Pretty basic I guess. Today the fiber link between our root 6513 and the "secondary" 6513 went down due to supplier error, but everythings OK using the other links previously blocked by STP and I disabled the interfaces on the broken link not to confuse STP if the link comes up.

Now our supplier tells us to start testing the link but I don't want to risk STP sync during office hours. Is there a way to bring up an L2 interface without participating in STP negotiation?

Regards

Fredrik Hofgren

1 Reply 1

Timor_SSS
Level 1
Level 1

Yes there is my friend

1)If that switch has layer 3 capabilities, than you can issue "no switchport" command on the interface level - that will transform the port to be a leyer 3 port = NO STP. You can do the same on the other port on the other switch - point-to-point - give the /30 IP's and make your tests.

2) You can look for "MST" on cisco.com/univercd. You can put both interfaces on both switches on seperate spanning-tree instance thus isolating the this link.

HTH

rate me if it did :-)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card