cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to save the startup-config file of 3560 onto my PC?

shuangufl
Level 1
Level 1

I connect my PC to the switch 3560 through the console port, how can I save the startup-config file onto my PC? Is there some specific command? Thanks a lot!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

U need to have tftp server on the pc,and it should have IP connectivity with the switch.

if u have this things then login in to the switch and enter the below commands.

switch#copy startup-config tftp

Thanks

Mahmood

View solution in original post

Hi,

Using console port, I guess you are using Hyper Terminal then there are 2 different ways to copy the contents of Startup-Config.

Issue command Show Startup-config

then select the config lines and paste into a text editor and save as text file or wordpad.

the second option is select from the Hyper Terminal Menu Transfer --> Capture Text

then specify a filename and path where you want to save this and click Start

Then Issue Show startup-config

then again transfer --> capture text --> stop

you will find the output of show startup-config is saved into the file you specified.

I think there is a 3rd way which is by using xmodem receive file option.

The best option will always be to use a tftp server running on your pc via the LAN connection.

HTH

Shaheen

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

U need to have tftp server on the pc,and it should have IP connectivity with the switch.

if u have this things then login in to the switch and enter the below commands.

switch#copy startup-config tftp

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi,

Using console port, I guess you are using Hyper Terminal then there are 2 different ways to copy the contents of Startup-Config.

Issue command Show Startup-config

then select the config lines and paste into a text editor and save as text file or wordpad.

the second option is select from the Hyper Terminal Menu Transfer --> Capture Text

then specify a filename and path where you want to save this and click Start

Then Issue Show startup-config

then again transfer --> capture text --> stop

you will find the output of show startup-config is saved into the file you specified.

I think there is a 3rd way which is by using xmodem receive file option.

The best option will always be to use a tftp server running on your pc via the LAN connection.

HTH

Shaheen

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are using something like Tera Term as your client just turn on the logging feature , on the switch issue "term length 0" then do a show runn command and this will runn the config into the log. Close the log window and it will ask you where you want to save it , just choose and this will save as a text file . most terminal emulators have some form of logging feature.

anharring
Level 1
Level 1

Learn to use the TFTP server method.

Cisco suggests this TFTP product that can transfer more than 32M and is also a syslog server:

http://tftpd32.jounin.net

You can not TFTP via a console cable so you need an ethernet connection.

The easiest way to copy stuff is via TeraTerm and its log facility:

http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/

Much better than HyperTerm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: