cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to send SNMP trap when "track" goes down?

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

I have configured tracks which use the IP SLA to monitor the connectivity (with pings to some IPs)

How do I get alerts (preferably via SNMP) when the track (or SLA) goes down?

Thanks!

Difan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can do it for sla with "snmp-server enable traps ipsla". I don't see one for track, so that may be enough. Otherwise, you may need to do this via eem script.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can do it for sla with "snmp-server enable traps ipsla". I don't see one for track, so that may be enough. Otherwise, you may need to do this via eem script.

HTH,
John

It is too easy for you isn't it lol

I knew that there was a "enable trap rtr" but couldn't find it anymore. Apparently that's renamed to "ipsla" which makes more sense

So you can't really monitor the track. You have to check the SLA. If track is to set to monitor the link status, then snmp-trap has to monitor the link, not the track itself. Correct?

Thanks,

"It is too easy for you isn't it lol"

Not at all I think the best way to do just tracking is by EEM. You can configure the event to track and then it can send an snmp trap when the script is ran.

The easiest, most basic way if your router supports it is something like the following:

track 1 interface lo1 line-protocol    << --- just used to illustrate the example

event manager applet TrackUp

event track 1 state down

action 1.0 snmp-trap strdata "Track 1 is down...I'm letting ya know"

When the event manager sees the tracked object go down, it will send a trap to your snmp server. I don't have a way of testing this, but if you want to test and not mess up production, you could create a loopback and track when that goes down. Shut the loopback interface and see if the snmp trap is sent.

HTH,
John

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card