cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to separate VLANs in a switch

Peter.D.Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I've got a 6500 switch which has 6 VLANs on it (1,2,3,4,5,6). All of the VLANs have IP addresses for routing. How would I be able to make it so that VLANs 1,2 and 3 can route to each other, and VLANs 4,5 and 6 can route to each other but the 2 groups of 3 VLANs can't see each other (i.e. so 1,2,3 can't see (or pass traffic between) 4,5,6).

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Pete.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pete

You could just use access-lists on the vlan interfaces to keep the traffic segregated but if you wanted separate routing tables then you need to look into vrf-lite which is supported on the 6500.

Jon

I stand corrected, but I think the solution is the combination on the above 2 replies.

PVLAN will take care of L2 cross talk, where as ACL takes care of L3.

I have using PVLAN + ACLs at edge 4500 to protect customers from each other and network customers.

HTH

Sam

Peter.D.Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the replies guys. They've given me some good ideas to think about so now I'll have a bit of a read round.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco