cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set up a QOS on 3750 switch to limit outbound bandwidth on a server ?

AlbertAu1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have three LAN ports on a VM server. I want to limit a VM guest (guest server) outbound bandwidth to 3750 swith .

How do I do it ? I want to apply QoS on the switch.

thanks

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It is probably easier to use VM to do that.

The new vSphere 5.5 supports QOS.  You can use it to apply QOS to specific VM.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere/VMware-vSphere-Platform-Whats-New.pdf

HTH

Thanks for the reply

Hello

MLS qos on the 3750 have 4 egress queues, enabling SRR on a specific port to shape and/or limit to a require BW value could be a possibility.

The below config is applying shaping to queue 1 of a specific port to 2mb ( by default all ports default to 100mb and are assigned a shaped weight of 1/25 or 4% of interface bw

int fa0/0

srr bandwidth shape 50 0 0 0   - ( 1/50th of 100mb = 2mb)

sh mls qos interface  x/x queuing

srr bandwidth shape x x x x

srr bandwidth limit x x x x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a0080883f9e.shtml#concept31

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. The port is connect to over 15 VM guest OS. I want to limit only one VM guest its output bandwidth. Is  above statement ableto do it ?

thanks

Hello

Unfortunately it will not, SRR is specific to the port  its configured on, So your 15 VM servers behind this port would be affected, I have misunderstood your initial query so apologies to that.

However you may be able to police on a specific value like source a mac-address, but again not sure this would be applicable to your scenario.

Police specific traffic with source mac- address to 1mb.

access-list 700 permit 0000.1111.2222 0000.0000.0000

class-map match-all VMServer

match access-group 700

policy-map MAC

class VMServer

police 1000000 31250 exceed-action drop

int x/x

service-policy input MAC

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you're looking to limit bandwidth FROM your server, you can use an ingress policy on the server's interface and police selectively.  For example, if your specific VM has its own IP address, you could police inbound (from the server) traffic matching that IP.

Joseph,

thanks for the reply. It is a good point. I did not think about it. I always think about to the other side. You are right. I can limit the ingress traffice on the server .

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card