Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to setup 2 routers in LAN for remote access

I need to setup my internal network using 2 routers. Router 1 will be a Linksys Wireless G 2.4 Broadband Router. Router 2 is a Linksys E1000 Wireless Router. I want Router 1 to be non-wireless and will only use wireless capabilities on Router 2 (specifically to access security cameras from the Internet via port forwarding). So, ideally the cable modem from my ISP will connect to Router 1 - with wireless disabled (also need to connect 2 wired computers to this router). Router 2 will then connect to Router 1 via Ethernet cable. It seems from my research that the best way to do this is using DMZ?

The way it is now is that I have bypassed Router 1 - going directly to Router 2 from the cable modem. This way I am able to successfully view the cameras from the Internet. With Router 1 in place, I cannot get to the cameras for viewing. However, now with Router 1 bypassed, I am unable to successfully connect to the Internet with the 2 computers that are connected to Router 1 - they are too distant to use wireless connectivity from Router 2.

Is DMZ the answer to this problem? If so, exactly how do I set it up? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have tried Router 1 & Router 2 connected which works fine for everything except accessing the security cameras from the Internet. Tried bypassing Router 1 which works for camera access, but then two computers connected to Router 1 do not have Internet access.

Everyone's tags (6)
Views
Helpful
Replies