Replies

How to synchronize configuration on Cat 6500

new_networker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1. How can I synchronize SUP/MSFC configuration across Cat 6500s

2. How can I verify the synchronize is successful

3. What all elements are synchronized. For e.g. vlan-groups, SVI I believe are not synchronized.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you mean between 2 6500 chassis's and you are not running VSS then most of it is a manual process i'm afraid. There are no commands to actually write the configuration across and you wouldn't necessarily want to as one 6500 chassis may well have different ports in different vlans than other.

Some of the service modules do allow synchronization across chassis's eg. the CSM (Content Switch Module) which can write it's configuration from the active switch to the standby switch (active/stanbdy used here in CSM terms only).

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

During normal operation, the startup-config and config-registers configuration are synchronized by default between the two supervisor engines. In a switchover, the new active supervisor engine uses the current configuration.

Further more information about the configure synchronization.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/redund.html#wp1102218

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you mean between 2 6500 chassis's and you are not running VSS then most of it is a manual process i'm afraid. There are no commands to actually write the configuration across and you wouldn't necessarily want to as one 6500 chassis may well have different ports in different vlans than other.

Some of the service modules do allow synchronization across chassis's eg. the CSM (Content Switch Module) which can write it's configuration from the active switch to the standby switch (active/stanbdy used here in CSM terms only).

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: