cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to upgrade cisco IOS sofitware in switch or router

praveennoc
Level 1
Level 1

1)how to upgrade cisco IOS sofitware in switch or router?

2) can we upgrade through console port ? or Rx modem thorogh ?

Please help pus

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how to upgrade cisco IOS sofitware in switch or router?

It depends on the device.  For older devices you have to use a TFTP server and load the IOS into the router or switch.  Most newer devices come with USB port which can be used to upgrade the device

can we upgrade through console port ? or Rx modem thorogh ?

Yes, but xmodem is very slow and the only time you should use it is if there is no IOS on the flash and router or switch is booting to ROMMON. This method is used as a last resort.

HTH

Hi Sharifi,

Thank you for reply Could you please explin the procedure for  upgrading process thorughxmodem ?

Hi,

Just follow this link step-by-step. It depends on the size of the image, but it takes a long time to load it.  You can also change the baud rate so it loads a little faster, but remember to change it back to 9600 when you are done.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/15085-xmodem-generic.html

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1)how to upgrade cisco IOS sofitware in switch or router?

I agree with Reza.  This question will depend on your hardware.  The most common method is using TFTP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SCP transfer to the appliance.

2) can we upgrade through console port ? or Rx modem thorogh ?

Uhhhhh ... why?  What is your intention to do this?  I mean if you want to COMPLICATE things or know "something" to impress someone ... Look, if someone comes to me with a respond to upgrade an IOS via ROMmon, I'd march him/her out the door.  

With modern switches and routers nowadays, you'd have to be living under a rock if you want to do IOS upgrade or corrupt-software-recovery process using xmodem.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card