Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade IOS on Cisco blade switches for chassis HP c7000

Tarjeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

My client has a HPc7000 chassis. It has 4 Cisco 48 gig switch blades. I found that it is running on very old IOS. 

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) witch

Switch     Ports     Model                       SW Version              SW Image

------          -----          -----                           ----------                          ----------

*    1        24     WS-CBS3020-HPQ       12.2(37)SE1          CBS30X0-LANBASE-M

I want to upgrade IOS all four blades IOS. Can you please provide me guidance. I have never seen these switches before. Do I have to upgrade each switch IOS randomly or it work like a 3750 stackable switches, so I can upgrade IOS from HP GUI interface and all switches will be upgraded. I couldnt find any 0documentation about how to upgrade HP c7000 switch chassis. Please advice

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Same as a standalone switch.   Don't look at it as a "stacked" 3750.  The only similarities to a 3750 is the IOS.

When you upgrade, you have three choices:

1.  Copy the BIN files (not recommended but is "do-able");

2.  Use the "archive tar /x" (not recommendable if you don't know what you are doing); or

3.  Use the "archive download-sw tftp:/filename.tar".

I'd recommend you use option #3.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts. 

View solution in original post

BIG F@T WARNING:

Before you even TRY or ATTEMPT to start the upgrade process, make sure you compare the MD5 hash value of your IOS file that you've already download against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.

If you're MD5 hash value DO NOT MATCH, then you need to re-download the file again.

If you're MD5 hash value don't match and you push this IOS into your switch, your switch will, potentially, not boot.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Same as a standalone switch.   Don't look at it as a "stacked" 3750.  The only similarities to a 3750 is the IOS.

When you upgrade, you have three choices:

1.  Copy the BIN files (not recommended but is "do-able");

2.  Use the "archive tar /x" (not recommendable if you don't know what you are doing); or

3.  Use the "archive download-sw tftp:/filename.tar".

I'd recommend you use option #3.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts. 

BIG F@T WARNING:

Before you even TRY or ATTEMPT to start the upgrade process, make sure you compare the MD5 hash value of your IOS file that you've already download against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.

If you're MD5 hash value DO NOT MATCH, then you need to re-download the file again.

If you're MD5 hash value don't match and you push this IOS into your switch, your switch will, potentially, not boot.

Freak me.  That was fast.  I haven't even finish posting my last comment.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Thanks Leo, I was waiting for answer :-)

I was actually confused because HP C7000 switch new to me and it has four Cisco 48port gig switch blades. It is in data center cage. Thanks for confirming that I can upgrade each switch as a standalone and it has nuthing to do with HP GUI mode.

Current system image file is "flash:cbs30x0-lanbase-mz.122-37.SE1/cbs30x0-lanbase-mz.122-37.SE1.bin"

I will download Tar file. Thanks a lot for your help.

The blade is sold by HP but "made by" Cisco.  The IOS is hosted by Cisco and not in HP systems.

Another thing ... What IOS version are you trying to upgrade to?

I just checked on cisco web site and found that new version is IP base and I have old lan base. I have just picked latest version from downlod list.

IP BASE cbs30x0-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.SE1.bin

cbs30x0-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.SE1.bin

I wouldn't touch this version.  No-way-Jose.

Go with 12.2(55)SE8 instead.

12.2(58)SE is one of the bad/worst IOS versions I've ever encountered with.  And besides, this version was released back in May 2011.  I wouldn't call it "new". 

Ah thanks.. I didnt know that. Thanks for saving my life.

Ah thanks.. I didnt know that. Thanks for saving my life.

ROFL!

No problem.  Now you have some knowledge your colleagues can be jealous of. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card