cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to uplink a 2960 to an existing 2960 switch (and pass all VLAN traffic)

endythegreat
Level 1
Level 1

I'm aware that this may be a simple question. I went to school and have some CLI experience but it's been 7+ years. I've got a new 2960 switch, and an existing 2960. I configured both for trunking on the uplink port. The problem I'm having is the VLAN's are not passing from the existing to the new.

I've got the default VLAN1 on each switch. (appears to be used for data).

A phone VLAN80 on the existing switch.

Below is from the first switch.

VTTR-SW01#sh vlan

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1    default                          active    Gi1/0/6, Gi1/0/25, Gi1/0/26
                                                Gi1/0/27, Gi1/0/28
60   VT-Guest                         active
80   VT_Voice                         active    Gi1/0/21, Gi1/0/22, Gi1/0/23
999  dummy-Vlan                       active
1002 fddi-default                     act/unsup
1003 token-ring-default               act/unsup
1004 fddinet-default                  act/unsup
1005 trnet-default                    act/unsup

VLAN Type  SAID       MTU   Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp  BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2
---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------
1    enet  100001     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
60   enet  100060     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
80   enet  100080     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
999  enet  100999     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
1002 fddi  101002     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
1003 tr    101003     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
1004 fdnet 101004     1500  -      -      -        ieee -        0      0
1005 trnet 101005     1500  -      -      -        ibm  -        0      0

============================================================================

From second switch....

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1    default                          active    Gi1/0/3, Gi1/0/4, Gi1/0/5
                                                Gi1/0/7, Gi1/0/8, Gi1/0/9
                                                Gi1/0/10, Gi1/0/11, Gi1/0/12
                                                Gi1/0/13, Gi1/0/14, Gi1/0/15
                                                Gi1/0/16, Gi1/0/17, Gi1/0/18
                                                Gi1/0/19, Gi1/0/20, Gi1/0/21
                                                Gi1/0/22, Gi1/0/23, Gi1/0/24
                                                Gi1/0/25, Gi1/0/26, Gi1/0/27
                                                Gi1/0/28
1002 fddi-default                     act/unsup
1003 token-ring-default               act/unsup
1004 fddinet-default                  act/unsup
1005 trnet-default                    act/unsup

1    enet  100001     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
1002 fddi  101002     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
1003 tr    101003     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
1004 fdnet 101004     1500  -      -      -        ieee -        0      0

1005 trnet 101005     1500  -      -      -        ibm  -        0      0

Remote SPAN VLANs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Secondary Type              Ports
------- --------- ----------------- ------------------------------------------

all of the ports on the second switch are set to trunk besides port 1.

Here is the config of the original switch port that is trunked... If you need the whole config let me know. Basically the switch I'm adding I just need to be able to plug a phone and PC into all of the ports besides the trunk port.

description to VTTR-SW02 port 1

switchport mode trunk

mls qos trust dscp

spanning-tree portfast trunk

ip dhcp snooping trust (not sure this needs to be enabled)

The other is set the same. A show int gigabitethernet 1/0/24 shows all of the VLANS active on the existing switch, on the new one it only shows 1.

This might be a real real simple question and configuration I know. I have found nothing on google on exactly how to do this. I understand from what I've read just both ports need to be trunked and the VLAN traffic should pass through. There's some other access ports and trunking ports on the existing switch going to Phone servers, their firewall, and router. Any help is appreciated, trying to re-learn here.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

Manually create the vlans on the 2nd switch. If you aren't running vtp in server/client, the new switch wouldn't have any way of knowing about the vlans on switch 1.

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want the vlans to flow from one to the other you must set them up as vtp client/server.  Make switch 1 the vtp server  and give it a vtp domain name .  Make switch 2 a vtp client  and then give it the same vtp domain name . At this point the vlans should show up on the 2nd switch , otherwise you must manually configure all the vlans on the 2nd switch.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

Manually create the vlans on the 2nd switch. If you aren't running vtp in server/client, the new switch wouldn't have any way of knowing about the vlans on switch 1.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want the vlans to flow from one to the other you must set them up as vtp client/server.  Make switch 1 the vtp server  and give it a vtp domain name .  Make switch 2 a vtp client  and then give it the same vtp domain name . At this point the vlans should show up on the 2nd switch , otherwise you must manually configure all the vlans on the 2nd switch.

What is best practice? To setup a VTP server? I had already configured that on the initial switch and client on the other. I just didn't set a domain.

This is one branch office in the company. They also have a firewall and router utilizing an MPLS line. That shouldn't effect anything correct? Can VTP be configured on routers or is it always configured at the switches? Those are more curiousity questions while we are on the subject.

I made the config change this morning and they passed right through. I do need to go onsite and test it now.

If you are going to use VTP, make sure its version 3 with pruning. Version 3 has much improved controls on what switches can update others, helping to prevent getting your vlan database overwritten accidentally. I also like to control where my vlans go to keep broadcasts only where they're needed, which is why pruning is good. Applying pruning changed between v2 and v3 so make sure to understand that.

With 2 vlans, it's probably not worth using VTP. In larger environments, it can be useful.

VTP is only for layer 2. There are some routers that can use switching modules so it's possible that you will see it there but it's generally only done on swithces. Using or not using VTP won't affect anything on the firewall or routing.

People have differing opinions on whether to use VTP (Server/Client) or whether to not use it (Transparent) as it can cause a major headache if someone configures something wrong but I am in the camp who use it.

If you have a small LAN (2-5 switches) then creating each Vlan manually is not a big deal and making changes is not difficult either. If you have a large number of switches in your LAN then it makes more sense to use VTP from a timesaving and consistency perspective.

Personally I don't use VTP pruning, I manually allow specific Vlans over trunk links but again this depends on your topology.

If you follow the Cisco campus architecture model then your distribution switches should be your VTP servers and your access switches should be VTP clients. You can then manually allow only the vlans which are needed on each switch on the trunk links between them and the distribution switch.

Thanks for the explanation guys. It's working fine using VTP and I think it's version 2. I'll confirm that today. Their routers do not have switching modules. I made the change on the switches to server\client, and I believe by default it uses version 2. I haven't heard of any issues so I will probably leave it. Literally that's all they have and its a smaller site so I feel it should be ok. If not I'll change it to version 3.

I have to go through and export their configs and take a look at everything. It's a new client for the company I work for, and I'm the only one that has any idea about anything Cisco. We are a smaller business HP/MS shop. The other IT company that they had before us installed all of the equipment and configured it all. We sold them higher end HP switches. Needless to say getting them to work together was a pain, so I suggested a change order for an additional 2960.

The topology is rather flat. Just one main office with main router, servers, firewall. Then every other branch office (10-12) has a router, and firewall going to their main switch. They are using mpls and I think OSPF to route everything through.

Feel free to add any additional input/opinions on configurations. I think it may help other people as well.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card