Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Use BPDU Guard

If I run RSTP, I don't need to run PortFast. However, to run BPDU guard, I need to turn on PortFast on every single port? Does PortFast override RSTP's native fast port convergence? I just don't want to turn on PortFast (more config for me to do) and I just want to enable BPDU guard globally. Is it possible to use BPDU guard without configuring PortFast on the interface? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: How to Use BPDU Guard

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cfa.shtml#edge

Look under the definition for EDGE port.

One of those strange things that happen when cisco has a solution before everyone else jumps on board. Sorta like cisco using the work native to mean untagged in 802.1q

6 REPLIES
Silver

Hi ,

As of 7.2 of 6500 switch ,you can can set bpdu-guard on individual ports. Regardless of the the global bpdu-guard setting, if you enable bpdu-guard on individual ports and receive a bpdu, the port will errdisable. In the older 6.x code you had been running, this only worked with portfast enabled. As of 7.2, you can enable this on a per port basis without portfast.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_7_2/cmd_ref/setsn_su.htm#1243604

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

satish

Thank. I only run IOS on my switches. I have

3500XL

What IOS version do I need for each platform so that I don't need to enable portfast for BPDU guard to work? Thanks.

hi as far as i know you can use BPDU gaurd on the RSTP enabled port and it will not take away the properties of RSTP on it.....

only RSTP features will be disabled if it is connected to a switch which cannot understand RSTP... then the port becomes STP....please let me know the results.

Hope it helped you.... please rate all the ratings....

Gold

Maybe i am missing something but why do you not have portfast on all you access ports.

The only way for a switch to know which are edge ports when running RSTP is to have this configured. You are removing one of the very nice features of RSTP since all port that are not edge ports will cause topology change notification to be sent to the root bridge everytime a use boots his PC.

RSTP does not really use the concept of portfast but cisco uses this keyword to mean EDGE port.

Cisco terminology is very confusing. As we all know, Portfast is Cisco proprietary protocol. I thought Portfast functionality is already built into RSTP and that's why I thought I don't need to enable portfast on the Edge Port. Is it true or am I wrong? If it is true that RSTP doesn't have portfast feature built into the protocol, I need to enable portfast on every switch and every platform?

Gold

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cfa.shtml#edge

Look under the definition for EDGE port.

One of those strange things that happen when cisco has a solution before everyone else jumps on board. Sorta like cisco using the work native to mean untagged in 802.1q

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content