cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use putty to telnet to neighboring switches

jeff113113
Level 1
Level 1

Without using a routing protocol I wanted to use my laptop with is going into a fa port int my first switch and telnet to the neighbors of that switch. My pc ip is 1.1.1.2 the switches are configured for vlan 1 with switch 1 ip 1.1.1.1, sw 2 ip 2.2.2.2, sw 3 ip 3.3.3.3, sw 4 ip 4.4.4.4. If I telnet directly into sw 1 i'm able to telnet from there to my other switches but I wanted to be able to use putty and telnet into all 4 switches without going to sw 1 first. How do I need to configure the switchs to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have your station plugged into one subnet and your pc has an address and gateway defined for that subnet then you should be able to ssh or telnet to the other switches "assuming" you have all your layer 3 routing  and trunking to the other switches defined correctly.  Some device has to be

doing the routing between your switches if they are all in different subnets. without knowing the configs , its hard to say where the issue is . All your other switches must have a default gateway assigned to be able to reach them . If you can get to them from sw1 then I would look to see if you have

a gateway defined on all the switches.  Thats the reason you would be able to get to them from Sw1 because they are directly attached .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't route through a gateway then all the devices you are reaching must be on the same subnet as your pc. You didn't say waht your subnet mask is but if it's a /24 (255.255.255.0) then the remote switches' VLAN 1 switched virtual interface (SVI) should be on that subnet as well - e.g 1.1.1.3, 1.1.1.4, 1.1.1.5.

I tryed to add the default-gateway command but it didn't work. Other then putting them in the same subnetcan I configure the default-gateway or is it now going to work this way?

The "ip default-gateway" command is for a layer 2 switch to know what gateway to use if/when the switch itself communicates to subnets not directly connected to it. It has nothing to do with end stations connected to the switch like your PC.

Like I replied earlier, your either route or have the switches on the same subnet. You could add static routes on your PC itself ( e.g "route add ___" from windows command prompt) and tell it to use the switch address as the gateway for remote subnets.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have your station plugged into one subnet and your pc has an address and gateway defined for that subnet then you should be able to ssh or telnet to the other switches "assuming" you have all your layer 3 routing  and trunking to the other switches defined correctly.  Some device has to be

doing the routing between your switches if they are all in different subnets. without knowing the configs , its hard to say where the issue is . All your other switches must have a default gateway assigned to be able to reach them . If you can get to them from sw1 then I would look to see if you have

a gateway defined on all the switches.  Thats the reason you would be able to get to them from Sw1 because they are directly attached .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card