HP Blade Server Connectivity Issue with Nexus 5548
I am facing a strange connectivity issue with HP Blade Server to connect with the Nexus 5548. Following Configuration I have done:
NK-5548-1(config)#interface e1/5 , 1/6
NK-5548-1(config-if)channel-group 50 mode active
NK-5548-1(config-if)# interface port-channel 50
NK-5548-1(config-if)# vpc 50
NK-5548-2(config)#interface e1/5 , 1/6
NK-5548-2(config-if)channel-group 60 mode active
NK-5548-2(config-if)# interface port-channel 60
NK-5548-2(config-if)# vpc 60
Here Just to add further detail: On HP Side there are 2 NIC Card with 4 Interfaces and we did Binding for each Nick interfaces so First Nick Interfaces going to NK-5548-1 and other nick Interfaces going to NK-5548-2. (Topology is attached for the Ref).
Result : All Links are UP on Nexus, Port-Channel status are showing UP and as general there is no issue. But Servers are not accessible and we can not ping it.
We did the same topology test with the Core Switch 6500 and we got connectivity with the HP Blade Server.
We remove the VPC and connect as Port Channel with the Nexus 5548 but unable to get access. Strange thing Interface status, Port-Chanel Status are showing UP, No spanning-tree blocking.
We remove the Port Channel and connect as single Trunk Link, also as access Link but unable to get connectivity with Nexus 5548 while other side we can able to get connectivity with Core 6500 any all test.
Need your valuable suggestion to resolve this issue.
Question We run asr9001 with XR 6.1.3, and we have a very long delay to
login w/ SSH 1 or 2 to the device compare to IOS device. After
investigation, the there is 1s delay between the client KEXDH_INIT and
the server (XR) KEXDH_REPLY. After debug ssh serv...
Introduction The purpose of this document is to demonstrate the Open
Shortest Path First (OSPF) behavior when the V-bit (Virtual-link bit) is
present in a non-backbone area. The V-bit is signaled in Type-1 LSA only
if the router is the endpoint of one or ...
Hi, I am seeing quite a few issues with patch install and wanted to
share my experience and workaround to this. Login to admin via CLI, then
access root with the “shell” command Issue “df –h” and you’ll probably
see the following directory full or nearly ...