cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and GLBP

yvk.kishore
Level 1
Level 1

hi.... i have a doubt regarding....that can we implement both HSRP and GLBP in the same LAN network.... please suggest me on the same...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I cannot find such config sample or test it in lab. So I cannot say it is 100% work, but according to the config. guide, there should be no issue to enable it but in practical, there is no need to enable both in same interface.

Because each virtual IP should be unique, so if we enable GLBP & HSRP or multuiple GLBP/HSRP in same router, they should be configured as different virtual IP then different group of host to point to these virtual IP as gateway.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Sureshdank
Level 1
Level 1

Are you talking about implementing HSRP and GLBP on same deivce or different deivces but in the same LAN.

Regards,

Suresh Jain

i have two core switches and already running HSRP... so i want to add some vlans for GLBP to do load balancing.....can i do it....

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

If you mean same device and different interfac then it should work. However, if same interface, I BELIEVE yes, but require additional testing.

If this the second case, you will have two virtual IP. One for HSRP, one for GLBP.

Could you advise the reason to have both on same interface ? Or there may be alternative solution to fulfill it.

Check below for the configure guide of GLBP & HSRP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008042fbc3.html

Hope this helps.

jack... i am having two core switches and each core switch is connected to AT&T cloud via different service providers....and they dont have redundancy. so i want to configure GLBP for those vlans which pass via these links... is it possible....

Yes, the GLBP will load-sharing two links. And the HSRP will only use one link if there is one HSRP group only.

It depends on your requirement, if you require load-sharing, then GLBP; if you only require backup link, then HSRP is fine.

Hope this helps.

so you mean to say HSRP and GLBP on same devices can work but need different traffic to be flown in them....

I cannot find such config sample or test it in lab. So I cannot say it is 100% work, but according to the config. guide, there should be no issue to enable it but in practical, there is no need to enable both in same interface.

Because each virtual IP should be unique, so if we enable GLBP & HSRP or multuiple GLBP/HSRP in same router, they should be configured as different virtual IP then different group of host to point to these virtual IP as gateway.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card