cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and PIM RPF

kjbarrass
Level 1
Level 1

does anyone know a way around the problem with having an mroute pointing to a HSRP address and the PIM neigbour RPF failing as a result of PIM packets been sent from the Real address not the HSRP address. There is no option to implement and EGP or IGP.

The only workaround I can find is to set the mroute to the real IP address of the interface of the PIM neighbour but as a result we loose resilience of the mroute.

Any feedback appreciated.

Kev

4 Replies 4

e-dennington
Level 1
Level 1

The reason for this is that the HSRP VIP address is not a PIM neighbor and the join/prune messages are only sent between PIM neighbors, which would be the actual physical interface/vlan addresses. One way around this I have used in my environment is to manually join the interface/vlan in question to the specific multicast group addresse using ip igmp join-group x.x.x.x

Thankyou for the reply im afraid we cant add each group mannualy as we are a service provider with a large amount of clients connected and around 2000 multicast groups changing all the time. wasnt sure if VRRP offered anything more that might help this.

Yeah, 2000 is alot to manually add! The other way around this that I know of is for the edge devices to have routes back to all PIM neighbors instead of a default route to a HSRP VIP (via ospf, eigrp etc). That way if a link or device goes down, you still have fault tolerance. Since you are a SP not sure how practical that is for you to do though.

Think we tried that and IOS will only allow 1 mroute statement per subnet and the solution we have is a vlan based one so if next hop died the route wouldnt drop from the routing table. Think I might have to just go the BGP route :0( thanks for feedback though. I tested VRRP it works to a point in that you can set one of the 2 routers to use standby address same as interfaces real address but when it fails over you end up with PIM hello's coming from wrong IP address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card