Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSRP and PIM

Has anyone had a high CPU usage problem on a 6500 with a sup 720 running IOS 12.2(18)? When I enable ip pim sparse-dense mode on the standby router HSRP interface, process switched traffic both in and out of the active and standby router interfaces shoots wayup. Everything looks ok if multicasting is removed from the standby vlan interfaces.

I don't have this isssue on my 4506 sup V, also running HSRP and PIM on the vlan interfaces.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: HSRP and PIM

If you enable multicast routing globally, then you should also enable multicast routing (using the ip pim command) on all Layer 3 interfaces on which you anticipate receiving IP multicast traffic. This command causes the packets to be sent to the process switching level to create the route entry. If you disable multicast routing on the RPF interface, the entry cannot be created and the packet is dropped. If the source traffic rate exceeds what can be handled by the process level, it can have an undesirable impact on the system. For example, routing protocol packets, such as EIGRP hello packets, might get dropped.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content