Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and Traceroute question

Hi,

I have two ML Switches running as an HSRP failover pair.

I have a firewall with a static route to the networks served by the ML switches using the HSRP address.

When I traceroute from the firewall to one of the networks behind the ML switches, the traceroute shows the actual IP address of the switch it goes through rather than the HSRP address.

Its not a problem, but Im interested as to why I don't see the HSRP address in the traceroute.

Cheers,

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ben

That is the way traceroute works. It reports the physical interface that it goes in on not the virtual address in use. So even though your firewall is referencing the HSRP address when it gets to the router it is the physical interface that reports back.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ben

That is the way traceroute works. It reports the physical interface that it goes in on not the virtual address in use. So even though your firewall is referencing the HSRP address when it gets to the router it is the physical interface that reports back.

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: