Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

HSRP Arp issue with Microsoft NLB

I have two 4506 switches running HSRP for a server vlan. On the server vlan my server guy has deployed two servers running microsoft NLB in vmware. I had to put a static arp entry in my 2 cores but HSRP doesn't seem to be acting rght. After the static arp entry we were able to ping the microsoft NLB'd virtual server. We simulated a failure on the server vlan and the secondary HSRP 4506 didn't take over as the active gateway. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES

Re: HSRP Arp issue with Microsoft NLB

What is the configuration of your interfaces that are using HSRP? Can you post that?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Purple

How is the server hooked into this setup ?   Is there a switch below these 4500"s ?    Is the hsrp in the correct state with a active side and a standby side ?   We need a little more info on how the server is hooked in .    Here is a page that might help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a07203.shtml

Community Member

this issue has been resolved. i created a test server SVI w/HSRP and trunked it to the bladecenter. Server guy created a test MS NLB cluster and i shut down the active SVI and the other SVI on the 4500 took over. i didn't have a solid way of testing without affecting production traffic. the static arp entries were the key to making this work.

Community Member

Where did you put your static arp entries?  where they for the HSRP interfaces, or the NLB?

thanks!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content