Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP between 4503 and 4006 -- Please come and see!

Hello, Please help to isolate the HSRP problem between my 4503 and 4006: both have router-switch card installed. Both Cards are running HSRP on the port channel 1.201 (encapsulated with 802.1Q vlan 201) which connected to the switch backplane. both switches have a port 3/34 in vlan 201. The 3/34 port on 4503 is connected to Checkpoint which is connected to Internet. The problem is: everything goes fine, but when we do a Failover test by unplug the checkpoint calbe from 4503 port 3/34 and plug into 4006's port 3/34, the internet does not work, and I found that the 4503's HSRP port's status is "UP, Down", which I don't quite understand why the line protocol is down. When I switch the checkpoint back to the 4503, the internet is working again, but the HSRP port on 4006 is on "UP, Down" state.

2 REPLIES

Re: HSRP between 4503 and 4006 -- Please come and see!

If I understand this correctly, you only have 1 physical port on each switch in vlan 201.

If there is no more L2 link on a vlan, the L3 interface will go down. I think this is called auto-state traking and is linked STP.

Re: HSRP between 4503 and 4006 -- Please come and see!

Thanks, Dominic! You are really an expert! You saved me! Now I understand why it works like that.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content