Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP for Server Redundancy

praveencherala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am facing a problem in implementing HSRP. My scenario is like this, I have two 3750 switches and I have a server with
two NICs. I want to run HSRP in these two switches. By the way the server is connected directly with the switches.
I mean each NIC to each switch.we have teamed the two NIC (Active / Standby).

Please help me what configuration need to done in switches to work HSRP.

HSRP.JPG

4 Replies 4

stubinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If possible I would stack the 3750's so it would be one logical switch and etherchannel to the server instead of doing HSRP but here is what you need to do for HSRP on vlan interfaces.

On Switch 1

interface Vlan2

description To active NIC on server

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.1

standby 1 priority 105

standby 1 preempt

On Switch 2

interface Vlan2

description To standby Nic on server

ip address 1.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.1

standby 1 preempt

Hope this helps

Hi stubinski,

Thank you for the reply. & Good day to you..

I did the same configuration on the switches.But when the active link goes down HSRP state is not changing in the switch because the vlan in the switch is not going down even after removing the cable( Switch 1 is learning the vlan information from Switch 2 via the trun link).

I donot want to stack the switches. Please let me know if any other way we can do the configuration to work HSRP normally.

Regards,

Praveen.

Hi,

You will need to track the interface so add this to the vlan interface config -

standby 1 track gigabitethernet 0/xx <== switch port.

Here is a good reference for HSRP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

Hope this helps

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

HSRP has nothing to do with nic teaming. A change in active - standby is not going to help you. You need to configure your server interfaces in a way, that

a) the server does a failover to the backup interface when the link goes down (eg IPMP linkbased)

or

b) the server does a failover once one or several ping probes were lost (IPMP probe based).

If the gateway resides on switch 1 or 2 is none of your concern here.

Regards

Pille

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco