Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP not working for a VLAN

darren-carr
Level 2
Level 2

Hi guys,

I have HSRP enabled and working for three VLANs across my switch environment. I am using 2 x 3560 to route on the internal LAN.

I have configured the switches as follows:

SW002

=========================================

SW002#SH RUN INT VLAN 20

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 147 bytes

!

interface Vlan20

description EXTERNAL CONTRACTOR vlan

ip address 192.168.20.2 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 192.168.20.1

standby 1 preempt

end

SW003

=========================================

SW003#SH run int vlan 20

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 188 bytes

!

interface Vlan20

description EXTERNAL CONTRACTOR vlan

ip address 192.168.20.3 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 192.168.20.1

standby 1 priority 105

standby 1 preempt delay minimum 60

end

The configuration is similar to that of other VLANS on the switches.

However for this VLAN both switches think that they are ACTIVE! As far as I can see the config looks fine.

I have been through the troubleshooting document and have verified the VTP configuration suggested and have checked physical cabling and all appears to be ok.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Darren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

In my experience one of the things that frequently causes this kind of symptom is that the switches do not realy have a valid and active connection in that vlan at layer 2. What does show cdp neighbor tell you about connectivity between the switches?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

In my experience one of the things that frequently causes this kind of symptom is that the switches do not realy have a valid and active connection in that vlan at layer 2. What does show cdp neighbor tell you about connectivity between the switches?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the pointer. I have now resolved the issue. It was my mistake. The VTP mode of one of the switches was not set correctly. I adjusted this and the standby configuration is not correct.

Thanks mate Darren

Darren

I am glad that you got it figured out and resolved the problem. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will read how the problem was figured out and resolved.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

No problem. Thankyou for the prompt response. For others reading this is should say in a previous post that standby problem 'now' fixed not 'not' fixed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: