We have two cisco switches (model 6500). One of them is active and running. I want to configure other one as a standby I have some questions
1. Do I have to do the running configuration manually like VLAN's,interface assignments to vlans etc. ?
2. How active switch will send the updates to Standy for eg ( configuration of any new Static Routes) or do i have to configure manually) ?
3. How standby will run up automatically when primary fails.
Any help will be highly appreciated
FAQ: Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP)
Understanding and Troubleshooting HSRP Problems in Catalyst Switch Networks
Please don't forget to rate our useful posts. Thanks.
1) Of course, with HSRP, you have to configure the 2nd switch like the first one (VLAN interface, etc.)
2) Configuration will not populate to the 2nd switch
3) HSRP use hello and priority to track the neighbor who is the active router. You can also use the track command to track specific object or interface to force the HSRP priority to decrease.
Seriously, you should read the link Leo'd provided above on HSRP. You question make it sound like you don't want to configure the 2nd switch. If your hardware and software meets the requirement, you can try VSS.
Of course, If you add a new VLAN on switch 1 and want to use HSRP, you have to configure the same VLAN on switch 2. Like I said before, configuration will not sync/populate between switches. HSRP active/standby configuration is pretty manual, failover will be automatic if it is configured correctly. If you want to do less maintenance/configuration or single point of entering configuration, take a look at VSS, you don't even need HSRP in that scenario. Some design will even take out spanning tree. Please keep in mind that VSS will/may require new hardware/software.
I am also facing problem with HSRP.
Please refer the following post/ Forumn I have posted.
Please Suggest what to do for 3 Tier Topology as shown in dia attached in that forum.
My Scenario is I can not change in existing Part i.e B Part and Dist - 1 , Dist - 2.
But can modify in Part A , Dist - 3 and Dist - 4.
So how should I proceed. I have tried as per my understanding as the same configuration is attached but I m facing the problem and can not pinn standby IP.
Your valuable suggestion is very helpful to me.
If you require more information pls revert back soon.
Why the low ratings of "3" ?
You have been given 100% correct and complete answers. Please been more fair when rating posts, or refrain from doing so.