Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP Preempt problem..~~~

hi.. my name is Kim... korean..

i don't speak & write English..

please understand my stupid language..

i want know.. preempt fuction on hsrp..

only preempt fuction working on hsrp tracking?

please help..

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: HSRP Preempt problem..~~~

Hi Kim,

The standby preempt command enables the Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) router with the highest priority to immediately become the active router. Priority is determined first by the configured priority value, and then by the IP address. In each case, a higher value is of greater priority. When a higher priority router preempts a lower priority router, the router sends a Coup message. When a lower priority active router receives a Coup message or a Hello message from an active, higher priority router, the router changes to the Speak state and sends a resign message.

The standby track command allows you to specify another interface on the router for the HSRP process to monitor in order to alter the HSRP priority for a given group. If the line protocol of the specified interface goes down, the HSRP priority is reduced. This means that another HSRP router with higher priority can become the active router if that router has standby preempt enabled.

In short "PREEMPT" keyword allows for re-election as which router now will going to act as an active router.

HTH

Ankur

Re: HSRP Preempt problem..~~~

The HSRP preempt features allows a router to with the highest pripority to become active again.

In the absense of this command, the router would not become active eventhough its priority is higher if there is already an existing active router.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/iosxr32/sw_r32/ad_c32/ic32hsrp.htm#wp1095586

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Views
Helpful
Replies