Replies

hsrp, standby preempt command with " reload" option

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

Please consider the following:

standby 1 preempt delay reload 1000

My book says the above command will cause the router to wait for 1000 seconds after it has been reloaded/restarted before preempting the current "active" router.

I put the above command to test by following lab:

R1-----------------------R2

R1 is currently in " active" state while R2 is in " standby" state.

I configured the following command on R2 as shown below:

(config-if)#standby 1 preempt delay reload 1000

R2(config-if)#end

*Mar  1 00:03:51.967: %HSRP-5-STATECHANGE: FastEthernet0/0 Grp 1 state Standby -> Active

====================================================================

But the router did not react the way it was expected. It should have waited 1000 seconds after the it was restarted/reloaded before assuming " active" state. On the contrary, it immediately assumes " active " state though it was not even reloaded/restarted.

I appreciate any help

Thanks and have a nice week

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

the command 1 preempt delay reload 1000 asks for a delay for a router that has just been reloaded

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp_fhrp/command/fhp-s2.html#GUID-A6F3428B-F157-41B7-90E3-C1EDC5A2E9D8

>> (Optional) Specifies the preemption delay, in  seconds, after a reload only. This delay period applies only to the  first interface-up event after the router has reloaded.

it does not apply to a router with some uptime like yours. So what you have seen looks like correct behaviour

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

the command 1 preempt delay reload 1000 asks for a delay for a router that has just been reloaded

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp_fhrp/command/fhp-s2.html#GUID-A6F3428B-F157-41B7-90E3-C1EDC5A2E9D8

>> (Optional) Specifies the preemption delay, in  seconds, after a reload only. This delay period applies only to the  first interface-up event after the router has reloaded.

it does not apply to a router with some uptime like yours. So what you have seen looks like correct behaviour

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card