Helpful
Replies

HSRP standy delay

shah.chintan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured

Standby delay min 120 reload 120 in 6500, Now question is if I reload the 6500 and after reloading will it wait for 120 sec to Initalize HSRP process or 240 secs ?

Rgds

Chintan..

5 Replies 5

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chintan ,

standby delay minimum reload

To configure the delay period before the initialization of Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) groups, use the standby delay minimum reload command in interface configuration mode. To disable the delay period, use the no form of this command.

standby delay minimum min-seconds reload reload-seconds

no standby delay minimum min-seconds reload reload-seconds

Catalyst 6500 Series Switches and Cisco 7600 Series Routers

standby delay minimum [min-delay] reload [reload-delay]

no standby delay minimum [min-delay] reload [reload-delay]

min-seconds

Minimum time (in seconds) to delay HSRP group initialization after an interface comes up. This minimum delay period applies to all subsequent interface events.

reload-seconds

Time (in seconds) to delay after the router has reloaded. This delay period applies only to the first interface-up event after the router has reloaded.

min-delay

(Optional) Minimum time, in seconds, to delay HSRP-group initialization after an interface comes up. This minimum delay applies to all subsequent interface events.

reload-delay

(Optional) Time, in seconds, to delay after the router has reloaded. This delay applies only to the first interface-up event after the router has reloaded.

Defaults

The default minimum delay is 1 second.

The default reload delay is 5 seconds.

Usage Guidelines

If the active router fails or is removed from the network, then the standby router will automatically become the new active router. If the former active router comes back online, you can control whether it takes over as the active router by using the standby preempt command.

However, in some cases, even if the standby preempt command is not configured, the former active router will resume the active role after it reloads and comes back online. Use the standby delay minimum reload command to set a delay period for HSRP group initialization. This command allows time for the packets to get through before the router resumes the active role.

We recommend that you use the standby delay minimum reload command if the standby timers command is configured in milliseconds or if HSRP is configured on a VLAN interface of a switch.

In most configurations, the default values provide sufficient time for the packets to get through and configuring longer delay values is not necessary.

The delay will be cancelled if an HSRP packet is received on an interface.

Thanks,

satish

Satish,

Thanks your details response..In my case what should be min and reload delay timer which i m trying to figure out.

B'cos I have some non cisco devices which run OSPF with MLS6500 and for remote host there is MLS-1 is HSRP gateway (active) so when there is reload of MLS-1 , MLS-2 will take over but once MLS-1 comes up and HSRP become active remote host send packet to MLs-1 but with other devices still OSPF reconverange for LSA happening and i get some drops.

So i found alternative solution to put standby delay so that beofore MLS-1 becomes active all Routing convergance happens and then HSRP intialize....

Suggestion are welcome....

Rgds

chintan

We have a similar issue, in that we use interface VLANs and want to minimize the down time. We moved the hello and hold-down time to 1 second and three seconds. All the connections are internal in our building, using 4700s. What is the best way to get near-instantaneous fail over? Can I go to 200 milliseconds and 600 milliseconds? I recall reading that you should be very careful going under one second. Jimmyc

I've one device in live network for which I have kept 250 msec hello timer and it works fine....But yes have to be careful since it is under one second...

Regards,

Chintan.

Hi Chintan,

I found recent Cisco documentation that says:

Some HSRP state flapping can occasionally occur if the holdtime is set to less than 250 milliseconds, and the processor is busy. It is recommended that holdtime values less than 250 milliseconds be used on Cisco 7200 platforms or better, and on Fast-Ethernet or FDDI interfaces or better. You can use the standby delay command to allow the interface to come up completely before HSRP initializes.

I'm going to post a generic HSRP message soon.

Jimmyc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: