cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Track Question

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I have 2 6506 routers connected between eachother sharing an hsrp group.

6506-1

int vlan 123

ip address 10.10.10.10

standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1

standby 1 priority 110

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track g1/1 15

6506-2

int vlan 123

ip address 10.10.10.11

standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1

standby 1 priority 100

standby 1 preempt

6506-1 is connected to a 7200 router on g1/1.

If the connection on the 7200 router goes down(on the 7200 router side), will hsrp failover properly?

I'm guessing that the interface on g1/1 of the 6506-1 router will be brought down also which should trigger the hsrp failover event?

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

If gig1/1 of Cat6506-1 is directly connected to 7200 router then yes even if port on 7200 on which gig1/1 is connected goes down will bring the lin kon gig1/1 down on 6506-1 an it will trigger the HSRP failover event.

IF 6506 is not directly connected to 7200 and there is some other switch in between then if link goes down on 7200 then 6506 link will still be up and it will not trigger a failover.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Sparky

One thing to be aware of is that in the config posted even if the gig interface does go down failover will not happen. The high priority is set to 110 and the other is using priority 100. The default for track is to decrement by 10. This would make the priority be 100 if the interface failed. This produces equal priority and failover happens when the other device priority becomes higher than the failing one. When priority is equal there is no failover.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I believe he forgot to paste the keyword 'decrement' but from what I see, the track has a decrement of 15.

Edison

I believe that you are right. I stand corrected.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Even if the priority results equal which is not in this case don't you think it will still elect which should be active router based on higher ip address?

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur

I believe that if they are doing the initial election to determine who should become active and if both have the same priority then they use address. But once they have done the election I do not believe that they continue to use the address. I believe that if you are tracking and if you decrement the priority because of some event but the priorities become equal then the same lead router remains the active lead. For track to change who is the active lead router the priority must become less than the standby router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I will give this a try in lab. Thanks.

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card