cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Tracking

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

Is it possible to track the interface running hsrp?

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

ip address 10.1.1.21 255.255.255.248

duplex full

speed 100

media-type rj45

negotiation auto

standby 5 ip 10.1.1.22

standby 5 priority 200

standby 5 preempt

standby 5 track Serial1/0 20

standby 5 track GigabitEthernet0/0 20

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Etienne

I do not believe that it is possible to track the interface itself that HSRP is running on. And if it was possible I am not sure why you would want to do this.

The purpose of tracking an interface is so that you can decrease the priority of an interface running HSRP if some other interface goes down. If the interface running HSRP goes down you do not want to decrease its priority you want the other standby interface to take completely over.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Etienne

I do not believe that it is possible to track the interface itself that HSRP is running on. And if it was possible I am not sure why you would want to do this.

The purpose of tracking an interface is so that you can decrease the priority of an interface running HSRP if some other interface goes down. If the interface running HSRP goes down you do not want to decrease its priority you want the other standby interface to take completely over.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Etienne

I am glad that my answer helped to resolve your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read a response which resolved the question.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the quick reply yesterday. My concern with the current HSRP configuration is that it is only tracking our serial interface. Last week the switch module to which Gig0/0 is connected failed but the router kept working in active mode because the HSRP was not affected by the failure. We had to manually change everything.

regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card