Helpful
Replies

HSRP

londint
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I need to do HSRP between 2 sites.

At present, we have the switches connected to our switches via L2.

But I need to give these ip addresses so that I can use the HSRP addresses as a gateway.

How do I go about ding this?

I tried putting in on the interfaces and it did say I cannot IP a L2 interface.

I have already created a VLAN (VLAN 10).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

adetutu

I can not tell from your drawing what is the connection between the 6509s. The drawing lables it as internet network. But I am not clear whether it really is internet and is routed or if the connection is a trunk or a VLAN.

If the connection between the 6509s is routed then you can not do HSRP between the 6509s. If the connection is a trunk or a VLAN then you should be able to configure HSRP. You do not configure IP addresses and therefore do not configure HSRP on layer 2 interfaces but do it on the layer 3 interface. So if you want to run HSRP on VLAN 10 then you configure the IP addresses and configure HSRP on interface VLAN 10.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

I am sorry I was not able to open your .vsd file but HSRP works on layer 3 interface.

So if you have L3 logical interfaces like interface vlan 10 under that you can configure standby commands for HSRP.

Check this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225see/scg/swhsrp.htm#wp1044177

HTH

Ankur

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

adetutu

I can not tell from your drawing what is the connection between the 6509s. The drawing lables it as internet network. But I am not clear whether it really is internet and is routed or if the connection is a trunk or a VLAN.

If the connection between the 6509s is routed then you can not do HSRP between the 6509s. If the connection is a trunk or a VLAN then you should be able to configure HSRP. You do not configure IP addresses and therefore do not configure HSRP on layer 2 interfaces but do it on the layer 3 interface. So if you want to run HSRP on VLAN 10 then you configure the IP addresses and configure HSRP on interface VLAN 10.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you so very much Rick.

The situation is that I have already configured HSRP on the VLAN10 and then placed the connections on each of the 6509 into VLAN10 but then thot i had to also ip these connections?

Question, does this meas if I use the HSRP address and loose on of the links, I will stll have connectivity via the HSRP?

Thanks.

adetutu

I am not sure that I understand your question. I believe that you are saying that you have configured HSRP on VLAN 10. I think but am not sure that you are saying that the link between the 6509s is a layer 2 VLAN and that you have put the physical ports that make the connection between 6509s into VLAN 10. If that is the correct understanding then you do not need IP addresses on the physical ports that make the connection.

And if you have HSRP configured on VLAN 10 and if the connection between switches goes down then each switch will become active on VLAN 10. End stations which have their default gateway configured as the HSRP address will be able to access their default gateway on the local switch. And they will be able to access resources on the local switch but obviously not able to access resources on the remote switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

In this case you have to have 2 links from each 3550 to 6509. In the present secnario if you loose the link between 3550 and 6509, your one of the side of the network will be totally out.

If you connect another link between 3550 and another 6509 say 6509B,and when the link between 3550 and 6509A goes down the vlan 10 will become active on the other 6500 and as you have a connectivity to the other 6509, the traffic will be routed properly.

Please see the attached diagram, that should be the suggested design.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card