Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

I forgot router's password

I have a router in a remote site and there is no body there to make switch off and switch on or to make password recovery so I can make telnet to this router and I have the VTY password but after I entered to the router like this:

telnet 192.168.1.136 ....

Password: cisco

Router12>en

password: ( I forgot it )

My question can I make something to enter to the router instead of I travel to the place where the router installed in to make password recovery?

Note:

when I made the configuration I entered the following command:

enable secret password .....

Thank you for your help.

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: I forgot router's password

muneeer

The optimum solution is to discover what you had configured as the enable secret:

- try the password with CAP lock on, and try with it off.

- try the password with a trailing space.

- try the password with various possible keystroke errors (perhaps a t instead of a g, etc).

The next best solution is to have out of band access to the router (perhaps a modem connected to the console port).

The next best solution is to ship a replacement router to the site and have someone replace the existing router (for which you do not know the password) with a router for which you do know the password.

The ultimate fallback solution is to plan a trip to the remote location and to do the password recovery procedure.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies