Views
Helpful
Replies

i need to change stack cable from member switch to member switch

dc-csa-blr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

i have an 4 switches in stack wise connection. there is a problem in one of the stack cable i need to change the stack cable between 1 & 4.

Do i need to switch off the switch in order to add a new cable to existing member switch..

2 Replies 2

Hi,

No you don't need to shutdown the switch if you have a circle. If not the master election occur and you "lost" the switch out of the virtuell switch. The traffic will use the second cable.That's the HA mechanismen of the Stacked version

I never shutdown a switch. you will see some syslog messages or SNMP traps, but that is all.

btw.

To make sure that the master will not change you should fix the priority of the switchmembers.

regards,

Sebastian

tprendergast
Level 3
Level 3

If you are wired like:

Switch 1 --> switch 2 --> switch 3 --> switch 4 --> switch 1

Then you can change any one cable at a time and be fine. If you are not in this ring topology, it would be best to create a ring then remove the one cable so you do not lose continuity in the stack.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card