cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I/O increasing on Catalyst 3560G

Evan Ray
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Catalyst 3560G w/ IPBASE-M IOS on it that we use for iSCSI traffic to the servers.  Currently I see I/O at 72%, processor at 26% with about 25 or so iSCSI volumes.  I would like to add more volumes, at least 10 to 15 more with various loads.  I'm curious what would be my next step in switches, or possibly a way to load balance ...get 2 3560G switches?  I'm not quite sure what path to take to accommodate increased load.  Any ideas or paths I should take?  I want to maintain high performance and uptime, of course.  So I want to make the right decision.  

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3560G is few years old.  If you are looking to get a newer and faster switch for storage, take a look at Cisco Nexus 6001T. This is a 48 port 1/10 gig copper switch with a low latency packet forwarding and very high speed.

here is the datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-6001-switch/data_sheet_c78-726128.html

HTH

I was definitely thinking about going Nexus, as I've been itching to get Nexus in our network.  But wow that 6001 switch has a serious pricetag on it!  I don't get how IT teams get upper management to approve these switches, I get shutdown every which way hence why we still have a 3560G for our SAN storage switch.  

Then you'll need to raise a TAC Case.  IF management doesn't want to invest in a DC-grade switch infrastructure and you're access switch gets overwhelmed with micro-burst traffic then TAC can help you alleviate some of the pain by crafting QoS specific to the model of your switch.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3560/3750 series are really user edge switches.  They lack buffers for high speed microbursts.

If the Nexus series it too expensive, you might consider the 4948E, the 4500-X or some of the MetroE switches.

I know the Nexus 5010 are EOL, but they have some great prices.  Do you see any downsides to running this switch for awhile?  I know I can't upgrade or get TAC, but for the mere performance I would think it's a good choice.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card