Helpful
Replies

ICMP redirect

shah.chintan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I m facing ICMP redirect message.

I have connected Sun box (router) two two 6500 MLS and two 6500 connected each otehr via port channel.

Other end host connected to both MLS via l2 swicth (LAN) and using HSRP for default gateway any of MLS1

Sun box to MLs-1 = /30 network

sun box to MLs-2 =/30 network

Any traffic from sun box to remote host should go via active HSRP which MLS-1.

I mean if packet come to MLs-2 will go via port channel and MLs-1 for that i have routing with proper metric and workign fine.

Now issue is , when i do sup swap on MLS-1 (ACTIVE HSRP router) traffic from Sun box to remote host will be taken via MlS-2 when standbysup takes control on Mls-1 then Mls-2 sened redirect message to Sun box with gateway as sun box ip address connected to MLs-2 and due to that i get high failover ...

My question is why ICMP redirect is happing even MLs-1 to Sun box and MLs-2 to sunbox having /30 network (not same subnet).

Can any body explain if this behaviour is correct why ? or you agree with me that it should not happen and some bug in cisco.

Rgds

chintan

3 Replies 3

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

Does the ICMP redirect work with the same subnet?

basically it should work. but here issue is it is working with diff subnet also.....

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

shah.chintan

i think and sure enough ,when u enable hsrp icmp redirect is disabled automaticaly the client must not have any idea about the layer 2 address of any device participating in the HSRP virtual router, and must not be enable if u are using HSRP.

so check if it s enable , if so disable it.

HTH

do rate if so

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card