Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Idea

Im going to remodeling my data center and was wondering what the thought would be on putting switches in a few racks instead of all cabling. And if I were to put switches in the rack which switch would be best, at the moment I have been considering a 3750, but at the same time that could be expensive.

2 Replies 2

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

How many servers do you have? What kind of connections you are using on the NIC, is it 10/100 or 10/100/100. What kind of load is there on the servers and How many users connect to it simultanously.

You have to keep all these things in mind before chossing any switch for you datacenter. If you are looking for a wirespeed performance in your data center and also for a rack mountable switch go for 4948 switch. Which is 548 10/100/100 switch with complete non-blocking architecture. In an ideal data center with lots of traffic this switch will be the best.

Let us know if you some more thoughts on this and we will give our suggestion.

HTH,

-amit singh

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Having been involved with many data center moves and provisioning projects , I would not recommend you placing all your 3750 switches in one cabinet. You need to provide some kind of power redundancy in case the power in that cabinet fails. I would also go with a switch platform that supports dual power supplies. That way you can place one power cord to one PDU and the other to another PDU. Also you should keep in mind that you should also run half of the switches off one PDU unit and the other half off another PDU unit. That way if the main PDU breaker goes you will only lose half of the switches. Of course if you lose power to the whole data Center then I hope you have redundant power grids that supply your whole building.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: