Views
Helpful
Replies

Identifying computer name on switch port

mark_Bayliss
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I wish to build an CMDB for all our computers across the network. We have about 30x C2950 switches and few C3550. I wish to identify the computer name to switch port based on IP / Mac Address.

can this be done?

Let forward to anyone response.

Cheers,

Mark

8 Replies 8

cufootwrk
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure how you do it with a cisco switch, but try downloading A-Mac network scanner.

It'll scan your network and resolve the mac/host/ip.

thanks for the reply cufootwrk. Not sure if thats what I want.

I wish to be able to resolve the computer name and know which switchport it is connected too.

Do you have a direct link to A-Mac network scanner? Cause google brings up all the MAC OS X stuff.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Ping your desktops from each switch and then use the sh ip arp command to the Mac-address of the corresponding machine.

Use the command sh mac-address-table add xxxx.xxxx.xxxx to get the port details for the machine

ms_mla_mgmt_14dc#sh ip arp

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface

Internet 172.16.102.249 3 0008.7434.e4d7 ARPA VLAN1

Internet 172.16.103.243 0 0013.c461.56bb ARPA VLAN1

ms_mla_mgmt_14dc#sh mac-address-table address 0050.5a10.6607

Non-static Address Table:

Destination Address Address Type VLAN Destination Port

------------------- ------------ ---- --------------------

0050.5a10.6607 Dynamic 1 GigabitEthernet0/2

ms_mla_mgmt_14dc#

You will only be able to get the information for the devices that are in the same subnet as the management switch IP.

HTH

Narayan

Cisco works will locate and give you the information you need (if you have the hostnames already mapped via DDNS).

Vlad

Hey Mark,

Here's a link. It's shareware, so it's $29 bucks, but you have like a 10 day trail before it makes you purchase it.

http://amac.paqtool.com/

Good Luck,

Jacob

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

Have a look at Kiwi Enterprise's CatTools :

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/cattools-info.php

I think it can generate a report that will satisfy your requirements.

Dave

rebeccastanke
Level 1
Level 1

I believe I figured it out using the Cisco Network Assistant > troubleshooting > Ping and Trace > choose Layer 2 Trace

the source was a server and the destination was a computer name  and the output is Gi0/1 => Fa0/13

I believe that would indicate port 13 on the switch. I'm remote so I cant verify but as I queried different computer names, I got different Gi0/1 => Fa0/xx

let me know if that indeed is the port, save me a trip

Rebecca

I do not see that path you show, what version of Network Assistant?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card