Views
Helpful
Replies

If Possible to stack this version 12.2(55)SE5 and 12.2(55)SE8 but same sw model

john.medalla
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day!

I have question regarding to my title. i want to know if possible to stack this version but same model?

15 Replies 15

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you can do it though its not recommended.

The IOS image need not be the same however the IOS version must be same.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

thank insharie for answering may question. i have another question. i have existing ip in my first switch then i will use stack to another switch i need to configure ip address to my new one or no need i am confuse?

no Need.

Here is the procedure:

Tips to Add a Switch as a Slave to the Stack

To add a switch, as a slave, to a stack, complete these steps:

Note: Make sure the switch that you add into the stack has the same IOS version as the switches in the stack. Refer to Catalyst 3750 Software Upgrade in a Stack Configuration with Use of the Command-Line Interface to upgrade the IOS in a catalyst 3750 switch.

1. Change the switch priority of the switch to be added to "1".

switch stack-member-number priority new-priority-value

Note: This step is optional, but it will make sure that the switch has fewer chances to become a stackmaster in the future.

2. Power off the switch that is to be added.

3. Make sure that the stack is fully connected so that, when you connect the new switch, the stack will be at least in half connectivity and does not partition.

4. Connect the new switch to the stack with the StackWise ports.

5. Power on the newly added switch.

6. After the new switch comes up, issue the command show switch to verify stack membership.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

***********Plz dont forget to rate all usefull posts*********

ahh.so for example my switch c2960s old has ip add of 192.168.1.1 this will be my master then no need to configure the 192.168.1.1 to my new  c2960s switch that will be my slave. so it will be automatically determine the my new switch ip address will be 192.168.1.1. right? in my understanding.

yes no need to configure the second switch with the same ip address.

The config would be pushed directly from Master to slave.

thanks for helping me. this is my first time to use stacking.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If it helps your understanding, when you stack switches (or VSS cluster), you basically have one "logical" device to configure.  Ports on member devices appear much like line card ports do on chassis models.  There's only one configuration for non-port stuff, e.g. one hostname, one VLAN interface, etc.

so in my case i will just configure the stack configuration on my old switch and the new one no need  to configure. i will just put the stack cable for the new one and will be automatically be the slave one and the configuration of old one will be automatically get by the slave switch?

Perfect. YEs you are good.

Please just have a look at the above procedure to add. :-)

HTH

i already resolved the problem. Sorry for late reply XD

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes and no.

(NB: I've worked much with 3750 stacks, but not 2960 stacks, although I think they are much alike - i.e. what I'm about to write might be incorrect for 2960 switches.)

I believe all the configuration of the to-be-added stack member will be lost.  The newly stack member will "share" the stack's global configuration but ports may need to be reconfigured.

I also believe, it's possible to "pre-configure" the to-be-added stack member port settings on the active stack.

By default, newly added stack members are "numbered" with the next available stack number, but if they are "recognized" they will be numbered as configured on the active stack.

Full details are found in the IOS reference manual and guide manual for you IOS version.

thanks for the information insharie and joseph doherty. I hope i can manage this on my switch.

hello again, i already try to set my 2 c2960s switch using stack for my redundancy, the older 1 already have configured and configure  the priority of old 1 to determine that is the master 1  and for the new 1 i just left no configuration so that it will be the member or slave one, but upon doing "show switch version" and "show switch neighbor" the result for "show switch version" both master and for "show switch neighbor" the result is none.

You did or did not physically stack them before doing the show commands?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card