Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP Querier with Bluecoat ProxySG

tsgruu2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I ran into a problem with VIP for high availability on Blue Coat ProxySG. Both ProxySG send multicast packets

to advise the other ProxySG that it is up and the priority is contained in the multicast packet, along with the IP address of the VIP and so on. 

This worked fine with Catalyst switches. Unfortunately it does not work over the newly installed Nexus switches.

There is no Vlan interface on the switches. The Vlan is only trunked through.

I found a hint that IGMP Querier could solve this issue. After configuration of IGMP Querier end acitvating Multicast on ProxySG

a IGMP group is built and all seems fine.

In a trace I can see IGMP Queries leaving the Querier but no answer from both ProxySGs.

After 6 minutes (3 times Querier Interval) the group disappears and both Boxes become active.

The topology looks like this:

Bluecoat1 -----N2k------2*N5k-----2*N7k-------Inter Datacenter Link-------2*N7k------2*N5k-----N2k-----Bluecoat2    

vPC         vPC                                             vPC          vPC

On both N7k in the left Datacenter is a Querier configured:
vlan configuration 85

ip igmp snooping querier 10.101.22.7

# sh ip igmp snoop querier

Vlan  IP Address       Version   Expires     Port

85    10.101.22.7      v3        00:01:22     Switch querier

I wonder if an additional setting has to be made. Could it be that the Bluecoats ignore IGMPv3?

I  would be very grateful for a hint.

Many Thanks!

Regards,
Urs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the VLAN is only used for Bluecoat, maybe you can disable igmp snooping on that VLAN.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the VLAN is only used for Bluecoat, maybe you can disable igmp snooping on that VLAN.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

great idea. It works. As only the Bluecoats are in this VLAN we decided to leave snooping deactivated.
Many Thanks!

Best Regards,
Urs

Hi,

I am exeperiencing the same issue described above, with a similar network layout:

BlueCoat1---N2K---2*N5K(vPC)---2*C6880(VSS)---Inter Datacenter Links---2*C6880(VSS)---2*N5K(vPC)---N2K---BlueCoat2

I have configured an IGMP querier in the BlueCoat VLANs on both 2*N5K(vPC), even if on one 2*N5K(vPC) should be enough. 

For each VLAN I've used the same free IP-Address on all 4 N5K:

Is that correct?

I am asking, bacause the Cisco-documetation says, that only the one with the "lowest IP-Address (?)" will be active:  

How should the IGMP-Querier-election work in my case?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Many thanks

hello,

we are exeperiencing the same issue described above, with a similar network layout

and we are changend muticast adresse with the ip on the range

224.0.0.69-224.0.0.100     Reserved     [IANA]

Yes !

Changed Blue Coat ProxySG failover multicast addresses to 224.0.0.80-82.

Its work !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card