Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP queuier but not PIM

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

I have 3750x switch that I want to use as IGMP querier to take advantage of IGMP snooping. However it seems that I have to enable PIM on the vlan interface to enable the querier... Is it true? I don't need/want PIM routing. The multicast traffic should only stay in the vlan, nowhere else. I guess I can do "no ip multicast-routing distributed". But it still forms the PIM neighbor with the other switch... Anyway just want best practice configuration in my setup..

Thanks!

Difan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

No, I do not believe you need to start PIM routing to enable the IGMP Querier support. Even old 2950 Catalysts that had no idea about PIM whatsoever supported the IGMP Querier feature.

Enabling the IGMP Querier should be fairly easy using the ip igmp snooping querier global configuration command. Optionally, you can tune the source address from which the Membership Query packets are sent using the ip igmp snooping querier address command; if you do not use it, the switch will choose one of its addresses from the active SVIs as the source address. Apart from that - no special configuration should be necessary.

Would this work for you?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

No, I do not believe you need to start PIM routing to enable the IGMP Querier support. Even old 2950 Catalysts that had no idea about PIM whatsoever supported the IGMP Querier feature.

Enabling the IGMP Querier should be fairly easy using the ip igmp snooping querier global configuration command. Optionally, you can tune the source address from which the Membership Query packets are sent using the ip igmp snooping querier address command; if you do not use it, the switch will choose one of its addresses from the active SVIs as the source address. Apart from that - no special configuration should be necessary.

Would this work for you?

Best regards,

Peter

that's exactly I want. Thank you very much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card