Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP snooping + vlan + 4500

habouzyad
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have configured igmp snooping in the 4500 in the created vlan. in the remote switch i add a specific port to this vlan but i dont receive any multicast traffic?!

please could someone help me? any specific document!

thanks

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

You need to understand that IGMP snooping is used to restrict the flooding of multicasts rather than to allow it.

Without IGMP snooping, multicasts would get flooded to all ports on the VLAN.

If you are running IGMP snooping, then the switch does not flood the multicasts. Instead, it listens to the IGMPs from the hosts, and only sends the multicasts to those switchports where a host is generating IGMP reports for the multicast group.

So, if you have IGMP snooping, and you do not see the multicast stream on the port, then maybe the host on that port is not generating IGMPs.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

habouzyad
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

like described in the topology (see in the attachements), i want to configure multicast (igmp snooping) in vlan 3 , the way to have possiblity to connect to the video server from any Pc connected to the Vlan 3.

the swith connected to the video server is from another constructor.

see in the attachement:

1- topology

2- Configuration in the 4500

3- show igmp

Many thanks in advance for your help

Regards

Hicham

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: