Helpful
Replies

In STP.Port Identifier = ?

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Is the port identifier = port priority and MAC address

or

port identifier = port priority and inteface number (Eg: 128.2 here 128 is port priority and 2 is interface numeber such as Fa0/2)

Which is corrrect ? I'm bit confused.

Actually i got this doubt as i was reading the below info on cisco site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swstp.html

-------------

Spanning-Tree Topology and BPDUs

The stable, active spanning-tree topology of a switched network is controlled by these elements:

The  unique bridge ID (switch priority and MAC address) associated with each  VLAN on each switch. In a switch stack, all switches use the same  bridge ID for a given spanning-tree instance.

The spanning-tree path cost to the root switch.

The port identifier (port priority and MAC address) associated with each Layer 2 interface.

---------------

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chandu,

In STP, the Port ID has two parts: configurable priority and a fixed port number (which is not the MAC address). On many switches, the port number is exactly the number after the slash, i.e. Fa0/1 is 128.1, Fa0/24 is 128.24. On some switches having GigE uplinks, Gi0/1 is 128.1, Gi0/2 is 128.2, and Fa0/1 starts with 128.3, Fa0/2 continues with 128.4, etc. The port numbers have no particular meaning except being unique for each port on a switch.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter, so as per your reply. I think cisco mention the third point worngly.

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card