cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Information on swapping SUP engines

101pch382
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 6509 with a single SUP1A-2GE with a MSFC I need to replace it with two Supe32s. Where can I find some documentation on how to accomplish this task

10 Replies 10

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I havenot come across any document as such for replacing the Sup1A with Sup32. What you have to take care is to configure the sup32 properly as the Sup1A was configured.

Which OS you are running on Sup1A. CatOS or IOS ? Which OS you are planning to run on Sup32, CatOS or IOS ?

If you have the OS on both Sup1A and Sup32, then there is no problem at all. Just copy the config from Sup1 to Sup32.

If you are running CatOS on Sup1Aand planning to run IOS on Sup32, then you can use the Catos to IOS conversion tool to convert config from CatOS to IOS and copy it ot the Sup.

Here is the tool below:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl

-amit singh

The 6509 currently uses CatOS5.5(13a).

Does the supe32 come preloaded with software or do I have to load it?

Can I place one of the supe32 modules in the second supe slot and work on it while the Sup1A is still operational?

Hi,

If you are running Cat OS and you want the same on the Sup32, you have to make sure that you tell the same thing to the vendor who is approaching you. Ask him that you need pre-loaded Hybrid OS on sup32 i.e CatOS on Sup and IOS on MSFC.Once that is done Sup32 will come pre-loaded with the hybrid OS.

If you put Sup32 in the operational 6509,This Sup will not be recognised by the Switch. This will not show you under " Show module " and it might not get power. I havenot tried it as such but it will not work.

-amit singh

would it make sense to convert my current hybrid os to ios before the supervisor change to simplify the migration process.

Also I have a nine slot chassis I need to place my two supe 32s in slots 5 and 6 correct?

Hi Amit,

I have tried opening the link you provided, however it seems like a broken link.

Am I making some err or is it the link that's broken?

Regards

Wilson Samuel

So, if I just want to replace a bad sup1 card with a new one, all I would need to do is to copy the config from one to the other?

thanks.

_Greg

Also, what utility do I use to copy? thnx again..

londint
Level 1
Level 1

We went through this about 2 months ago but with a Sup720. yes we had to empty out the slot 5 and 6 unfortunately.

There is really no doc that will tell you how to go about this really but the dos on Sup32 will tell you how to install it. We followed the sup720 install guide. We were also converting from CatOS to CiscoIOO. So we used the tool and then refined it.

All the best

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sup32 are installed on Module 1 and 2. Sup720 must be installed in slots 5 or 6 in a 6-slot and a 9-slot chassis, and slots 7 or 8 in a 13-slot chassis.

As for you initial query, are you going from CatOS (Hybrid) to Native IOS ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card