Views
Helpful
Replies

Inject default route (0.0.0.0) to EIGRP

alex goshtaei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need inject static route (0.0.0.0) from ASA to EIGRP table. I know we can do this in IOS router if static route look like this:

#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0/0/0

but in ASA static router is:

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 20.1.1.1 --> it point to the next hop, therefore it is not populated to EIGRP table.

router eigrp 1
no auto-summary
network 10.0.103.0 255.255.255.0
redistribute static metric 1000 30 255 10 1500

also I've tried "redistribute" with route map, but still 0.0.0.0 is not shown in EIGRP table.

any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

agoshtaei wrote:

yes, I am using "ip sla monitor" in ASA to track static route. so if ASA can't see static route, it will remove from routing table and get 0.0.0.0 network from other ASA by EIGRP?

thanks

Alex

If the ASA can't contact the next-hop in your statically configured route then it will remove that static route and it should then use the EIGRP advertised default-route from the other ASA.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

agoshtaei wrote:

Hi All,

I need inject static route (0.0.0.0) from ASA to EIGRP table. I know we can do this in IOS router if static route look like this:

#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0/0/0

but in ASA static router is:

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 20.1.1.1 --> it point to the next hop, therefore it is not populated to EIGRP table.

router eigrp 1
no auto-summary
network 10.0.103.0 255.255.255.0
redistribute static metric 1000 30 255 10 1500

also I've tried "redistribute" with route map, but still 0.0.0.0 is not shown in EIGRP table.

any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Alex

Alex

Whether the next-hop is an interface or an IP address does not affect whether the route is redistributed into EIGRP.

Where are you expecting to see the EIGRP route ie. on a downstream switch or L3 switch ?

Jon

thanks for the reply:

here is the topology:

internet --> ASA1 --> router --> MPLS --> router --> ASA2 --> internet

there are two sites with ASA1 and ASA2. we are tyring to configure failover by EIGRP. if internet link is down in either sites, ASA must route all traffic through MPLS. service provider requires us to run EIGRP on ASA.

in both ASA, network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 must be seen in EIGRP table, if its static route to internet is down, it must use EGIRP table to route all traffic to another ASA.

thanks again

Alex

agoshtaei wrote:

thanks for the reply:

here is the topology:

internet --> ASA1 --> router --> MPLS --> router --> ASA2 --> internet

there are two sites with ASA1 and ASA2. we are tyring to configure failover by EIGRP. if internet link is down in either sites, ASA must route all traffic through MPLS. service provider requires us to run EIGRP on ASA.

in both ASA, network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 must be seen in EIGRP table, if its static route to internet is down, it must use EGIRP table to route all traffic to another ASA.

thanks again

Alex

Alex

You won't see the EIGRP default-route until the static has been removed from the routing table. So if you configure a static route on ASA1 and ASA2  then these will be used and what you see in the routing table. That is because the AD is 1 whereas EIGRP redistributed routes are 170. If ASA1 loses it's connection to the internet it should remove it's static default-route and only then will the EIGRP default-route received from ASA2 be put into the routing table.

But until the static route is removed you won't see the redsitributed EIGRP route in the routing table.

Also yolu may need to track the default-route because ASAs use ethernet connections and if the ASA outside interface is connected to a switch and the ISP router is connected to the same switch if the ISP router fails your ASA will still think the link is up because the switch is still up and running.

So you either need to connect the router interface directly to the ASA with a cross over cable or use the track route feature in the ASA.

Jon

yes, I am using "ip sla monitor" in ASA to track static route. so if ASA can't see static route, it will remove from routing table and get 0.0.0.0 network from other ASA by EIGRP?

thanks

Alex

agoshtaei wrote:

thanks

Alex

If the ASA can't contact the next-hop in your statically configured route then it will remove that static route and it should then use the EIGRP advertised default-route from the other ASA.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card