Views
Helpful
Replies

input Error

mkumailali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have aFiber Switch C3508-G its one port is showing many input error like below its shown can some one tell me its effacts and how i did sole this problem

Thanks

Kumail

GigabitEthernet0/6 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 0004.4d8e.bb06 (bia 0004.4d8e.bb06)

Description: FDL-Pad15-10.84.15.1

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Auto-duplex (Full), 1000Mb/s, media type is LX

output flow-control is off, input flow-control is off

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:13, output 00:00:01, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops

5 minute input rate 1319000 bits/sec, 428 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 2133000 bits/sec, 415 packets/sec

238612775 packets input, 516870349 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 29834387 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

146122 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 6303243 multicast, 0 pause input

293598870 packets output, 1514343572 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

--More--

8 Replies 8

crow930us
Level 3
Level 3

Kumail,

I believe you need some kind of reference as to when those error might have occured. If you look at the line - Last clearing of "show interface" counters never it shows that you have never cleared the counters on your router. The command 'clear counters' will reset these and you can start getting a frame of reference as to how many errors and when they may be occurring.

You can also try using the show controllers command for additional info. This document might also help, Troubleshooting Switch Port and Interface Problems http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml#shcount

Hi Dear

Thanks for Quick response i also did apply clear counter command before many time many time i also face MAC repetation problem on the same switch i mean one MAC repeat many time Loop of MAC Address and during Loop of MAC Address or Input Error My Switch show time out for 15 second and after this it become rebooot and so it did lose its record and it it is showing clear counter command never applied so please help

Thanks

Kumail

Hi Dear

Thanks for Quick response i also did apply clear counter command before many time many time i also face MAC repetation problem on the same switch i mean one MAC repeat many time Loop of MAC Address and during Loop of MAC Address or Input Error My Switch show time out for 15 second and after this it become rebooot and so it did lose its record and it it is showing clear counter command never applied so please help

Thanks

Kumail

Can you be a little more specific in describing what you mean by you have a MAC repeat many times. Are there anything in the log files which explains what is happening? How soon after you bring the switch up is it going back down?

Hi Dear you are asking MAC Address i mean one MAC address repeat more time mean unlimited if i check sha mac-address table it willl show mac address but one mac will be repeat many time mean 1000 of time not always same mac address it may be different some time same mac also show but many time different mac occure and it show loop become finish if Switch become reboot i check its link its link is also are our clients but how can we stop it so help

Thanks

Kumail

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

You have a total of 238M of imput packets with 146k with errors which equates to less then .06 % errors. This is not a problem. 99.94 of packets are traversing the input queues with no errors. You can try setting the queue strategy to WFQ and see if problem goes away.

See following URL (Table 28) which describes possible cause of input errors

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/interface/command/reference/irshowin.html#wp1017950

If .06% errors is acceptable, then what is the acceptable limit % of input and output errors. Is this documented somewhere.

Thanks.

Sure, the occurrence of errors and the input and output difference should not exceed one percent (1.0 %) of traffic on the interface.

Reference:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/asynchronous-transfer-mode-atm/permanent-virtual-circuits-pvc-switched-virtual-circuits-svc/10434-crc-tshooting.html 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card