Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Install a second FAN on a Switch 6509

Hello

Could i install a second FAN on a Switch 6509???

I know that the FAN with reference WS-C6509-E-FAN support until nine (9) fan on a kind of blade, however can i add another WS-C6509-E-FAN on the same switch 6509???

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Best regards,

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Install a second FAN on a Switch 6509

Hello Alemunmo81,

I think you can replace the current fan tray with a more powerful fan tray of type 2 as explained here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Chassis_Installation/Cat6500/04remrep.html#wp1088910

Take in account the following note:

If your Catalyst 6506, Catalyst 6509, or Catalyst 6509-NEB chassis is equipped with a Supervisor Engine 2 and you using the fan tray removal and replacement procedure to upgrade the chassis from a fan tray 1 (low-speed) to a fan tray 2 (high-speed), you must first check the chassis configuration using the hw-module fan-tray version 2 command to check for configuration problems, such as power supply compatibility and power sufficiency. If the system does not detect any configuration issues, a message is displayed saying that it is OK to change the fan trays. This command applies to Catalyst 6500 series switches that are configured with a Supervisor Engine 2 only. This command is not required in systems that are configured with either a Supervisor Engine 720 or a Supervisor Engine 32.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content