Views
Helpful
Replies

Install C3KX-NM-10G module in 3750X stack

varundhanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

We have stack of two 3750X switches and we need to install C3KX-NM-10G modules into the switches.

Can i power off the member switch first and install the network module and turn it back on( will it join the stack?) and then power off the master switch and install the module.

Do both the switches need to be powerd off before installing the network modules? or can i install the module on to one switch and then on the other

Thanks

Varun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Sorry for the delay

Yes the commands disables the stack-power ports and there is no power in them.

if you do these commands and then pull the normal powercable, the switch will shut down due to lack of power.

No you do not need to physicaly unplug the stack-power cables after you have shut them down.

You can leave them in since they are not active and they will not feed power to the switch.

I see that I have made an error in how you shut them down in my previous example so i will go back and correct it if possible.

Good luck

HTH

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Power OFF the switch before installing the module.  Otherwise, you will run the risk of "burning" the contact points.

Thanks for the reply leolaohoo

Does the stack need to be powered off? or can i power off and install the network module on to the one switch and power it UP(will it join the stack at this step) and then install the module on to the second switch?

Thanks

Varun

Does the stack need to be powered off?

Not the stack.  Only the SWITCH where the module is going into.

thanks again leolaohoo.

But when you power up the switch with the installed module. will it join the stack?

Thanks

will it join the stack?

Yes.

varundhanda
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Leolaohoo.

Sorry for being a pain in the neck. I wanted to get it right as there are critical servers connected to the switches.

here are the steps i would take.

switch1-master

switch2-member

1 power down the master switch(switch1) at this step switch2 (member switch) will take make the redundant links active.

2.install the module.

3.Power up the master switch( at this step switch2 will disconnect the stack because of difference in hardware....am i correct?)

4. power down the switch 2 (member)

5. install the module

6. power up switch2( at this step switch2 will rejoin the stack???...am i right).

Thanks

When you power up the switch 1, switch 2 will not "disconnect the stack because of difference in hardware". 

Switch 2 should rejoin the stack without any issues.

Hi,

I have got another query regarding the installation of network modules

These switches have stack power connected as well. i  will remove the physical power cables but the switch( on which network  module to be installed) willl still be running with stack-power cable.

How do i disable stack power? do remove the stack-power cable manually?

thanks

you need to disable all power to this one appliance

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

It is seldom I disagree with Leo, but this time I think i have to.

First the modules are hotswappable, so they are designed to be able to be installed in a running system.

However that said, Leo is absolutely correct in that it is always preferable to not install modules in a running environment due to the risk of damaging the connectors. and i also think it is good idea to not recomend installing equipment on the fly, however this seems to be one of those moments that i do not have a problem with installing it in a powered up environment.

The manual states the following:

"Although network modules are hot-swappable, we recommend installing a network module before

powering the switch"

My personal note to that comment is that if you are up and running and you have problems with downtime for servers and other equipment, I would go ahead and just pull out the blank modules and install the 10Gig modules while the switches are running. Make sure to do it firmly so that there is a good tight grip in the connectors. They are made to handle that. However if the system is not up already or there is no problems taking it down then I would install the modules before powering up the switches.

If you do not want to install the modules on the fly and wants to play it very safe and not install the modules while there is power to the switch, then you actually can shut down power even though the powercables are connected.

But lets not get ahead of ourself now, first of all, have you setup stackpower in the config ? ie have you opened upp the stackpower ports ?

If not then you might think you are protected but you are not.

To show this you can do the command show stack power,

if the port status is set to shut then you have not configured the stackpower to work, you have only installed the cables.

this means that when you remove the cabling from the powersupplies of the unit then it will not recieve power from the other switch and thus it will be off.

you can issue the command

stack-power switch 1 port 1 enable

or

stack-power switch 1 port 1 disable (edited to the correct command)

And the same with port two

(and also the same with switch two and so on)

Good luck

HTH

Edit

Changed the command to the correct one.

Thanks Hobbe.

We have stack power configured.please see below

switch#show stack-power

Power stack name: Powerstack-2

Stack mode: Power sharing

Stack topology: Ring

Switch 1:

Power budget: 223

Low port priority value: 22

High port priority value: 13

Switch priority value: 4

Port 1 status: Connected

Port 2 status: Connected

Neighbor on port 1: e05f.b996.c400

Neighbor on port 2: e05f.b996.c400

Switch 2:

Power budget: 223

Low port priority value: 21

High port priority value: 12

Switch priority value: 3

Port 1 status: Connected

Port 2 status: Connected

Neighbor on port 1: e05f.b9b1.b600

Neighbor on port 2: e05f.b9b1.b600

Will the following commands disable the stack-power ports before i unplug the power cables from the switches?

Do i need to phycically remove the stack-power cables or is it after disabling the stack-power ports i can leave them plugged in?

stack-power switch 1 port 1 disable

stack-power switch 1 port 2 disable

stack-power switch 2 port 1 disable

stack-power switch 2 port 2 disable

Thanks

Hi

Sorry for the delay

Yes the commands disables the stack-power ports and there is no power in them.

if you do these commands and then pull the normal powercable, the switch will shut down due to lack of power.

No you do not need to physicaly unplug the stack-power cables after you have shut them down.

You can leave them in since they are not active and they will not feed power to the switch.

I see that I have made an error in how you shut them down in my previous example so i will go back and correct it if possible.

Good luck

HTH

Thank you Hobbe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card