Views
Helpful
Replies

Installed an 1811 and printer access problem occurred

oliver.dujua
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Has anyone had experience on the 1811? I have installed one and from then on I could not print to my network printers. I can still ping the printers but when I send print jobs, they do not respond.

Thanks!

Oliver

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Oliver,

a router blocks broadcast for their nature.

if the PCs use MS Windows Networking without a WINS server they try to broadcast to reach the printers

if you have more vlans/ ip subnets and all of your printers are in subnet 10.10.10.0/24

you need under all other interfaces

ip helper-address 10.10.10.255

in this way the requests are converted and you should be able to print.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Guiseppe. I'm still quite a newbie with some other settings. How do I add this? Just go into each cisco interface and type

ip helper-address 10.10.10.255?

Oliver

Hello Oliver,

yes you can do so, in theory on all excluding the one that has ip address in range 10.10.10.0/24

but you can add it everywhere (on all lan interfaces)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Reading about ip helper address, it is saying that it is needed only if your accessing an IP on a different subnet. However in my case, all computers and printers are on the same subnet. Do I still need to add the ip helper address? I am a bit confused.

Thanks again,

Oliver

Hello Oliver,

PCs and printers in the same IP subnet should be able to talk directly without any ip helper-address unless the PCs try to locate some print server or service that is in another subnet.

But if you have only one subnet the C1812 should not block anything.

Are you using an etherswitch module on the router (has the router a module with several ports you use like an hub or switch )?

It may be more complex of what I was saying but the router plays a role as layer 3 device only if the devices are in different subnets

You may like to post a filtered version of your configuration and a brief note about the setup:

router plus an external switch

is it a branch office of a bigger company and the router connects to HQ ?

Are you using names for the printers or ip addresses ?

if using names to access the printers from PC operating system /applications, and the name resolution server is in a central site you need an ip helper address for the DNS server for example.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: