cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing a secondary 2960 in LAN, can I simply copy the first ones configuration?

TURBOxSPOOL
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: Got everything working for now, thanks for the help!

Hello all,

First, a disclaimer: I am an utter networking newbie. I am working a part-time IT job for minimal pay, and now I am tasked above my pay grade. At any rate I need to get a new 2960 switch configured.

Some backgroud -  I do not have documentation detailng the setup of the network, but I know we have an identical 2960 installed in another building. Since I had physical access, I was able to recover the password and copy down the configuration to my laptop. I now need to configure the new switch in another building (but its connected to the same fiber connection). I would assume that both switch could use nearly identical configurations. I was hoping that I could simply copy the configuration from the already working switch to the newly installed switch. to that end I am including the configuration file that I backed up from the first switch.

Now I know there will be some obvious changes when uploading the config to the new switch, such as IP (?) and hostname, however past that I am in the dark. If you could, please lend some help as to whether this config file can simply be uploaded to the new switch, and with what changes.

Note: I simply cut out some password fields and IP addresses, but did not delete any lines. This configuration is working fine in the one building, and to me the new switch is setup in a way that they should be configured in a similar manner.

Any help is sincerely appreciated,

-Tom

3 Replies 3

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As long as you are using same VLAN assignment scheme, you should not have

any problem in copying the configuration from one switch to the other

switch. You are correct in that you do need to change the hostname and the

IP address.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

davieshuw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi mate

The most important thing to check is are all the switchports going to be on the same VLANs as the original switch that you're copying from?

Also when you dump the new config on the new switch the interfaces will all be in an adminastrivley down so you'll have to enable them.

TURBOxSPOOL
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies guys! I got it all working now, what a relief.

The first time I tried copying over the config file I got a message "Native VLAN ID mismatch" or something along those lines. Not sure what caused that, but after trying again its all working now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: