cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Module in Catalyst 4006

mtgrech
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a 6 port, WS-3206, 1000BaseX Ethernet module insto a Catalyst 4006 switch. The OS and Firmware levels are correct. My question is will I have to reset the switch for it to see this new module. I'm not swapping, but adding a new module. Is a reset in order or will it see it automatically? Thank you.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you do not have to reset the switch just install into the slot you want it in as long as the catos version installed supports the card .

View solution in original post

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

All cisco modular switches have a capability of hot swap for any modules like line cards, power supplies as well as supervisor engines.

So you can insert any line cards without resetting the whole switch.

HTH

Ankur

No You dont need any reset on the switch. the moment you insert the module in the switch and if its is supported on the OS running on the Sup, it will be automatically detected and listed under the :show module".

HTH,

-amit singh

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you do not have to reset the switch just install into the slot you want it in as long as the catos version installed supports the card .

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

All cisco modular switches have a capability of hot swap for any modules like line cards, power supplies as well as supervisor engines.

So you can insert any line cards without resetting the whole switch.

HTH

Ankur

My situation is not Hot Swapping, but I'm adding a module that is not in the switch. Do you think a reset is needed to see the module? The previouse post says no. Thanks.

No You dont need any reset on the switch. the moment you insert the module in the switch and if its is supported on the OS running on the Sup, it will be automatically detected and listed under the :show module".

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card