Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing new module in Cisco 6509 Switch VSS Chassis

anil.gupta3
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have small query w.r.t new module ( 2*WS-X6708-10G-3C= and 2*WS-X6716-10G-3C=) installation in the Cisco 6509 Chassis working in VSS mode (live setup).

I have searched all the Cisco portal and not able to find any SOP document which will be used for installating new card in the Cisco 6509 VSS chassis (working in live environment) and giving the pros and cons, process need to followed for installating new module in the cisco 6509 switch working in VSS mode.

If anybody did the installation of the new module, please help me out, the process which need to followed during the installation of the above card mention. (FYR, I know, the card are hot swappable and can be installed in the live chassis, but i need to pros and cons for installing new card in the cisco 6509 switch).

any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks and Regards,

Neal

5 Replies 5

Hey mate

modules are hot swappable.

Once you install it - you can run the "sh inv" command and you will be able to see the module there

EDIT: I just did all of this with a WiSM card in a 6500 VSS layout on a live environment.

Hi Warren,

thanks for your reply.

I have one query, while installing Wism card in Cisco 6509 chassis working in VSS mode; you have started installing Wism card first in Cisco 6509 Primary switch or secondary switch?

Regards,

Neal

I installed a Fwsm module in a primary 6500 in vss with no issue and a wish in a secondary

Anil,

As said there will not be any issue placing the modular cards on any of the either chassis at the slot which are recommended to be placed.

Regards

Inayath.

Thanks Warren and InayathUlla.

as per understanding from your post, we can install module in any of the Cisco 6509 chassis; be it Active or Standby switch.

It is not like we need to have same hardware configuration for both 6509 expect the sup720 in both chassis.

Regards,

Neal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: