cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Insufficient Power for PoE?

jlhainy
Level 2
Level 2

I have an interesting issue.  I am running a 4500 with 1300W power supplies.  We have IP Cameras and Cisco APs being powered by this switch.  I have one AP that will not power up.  It powers up with an A/C adapter just fine.  I took the AP to another POE switch and it powered up just fine.  So, I was thinking it was a PoE issue.

Checking the syslogs, I found the following:

Interface Gi5/36: inline power denied. Reason: Insufficient inline power, requested(17303) available(10018)

So this syslog basically is telling me that there isn't enough power, which is fine, I do have 50 devices being powered.  They are a mix of Cisco and non-cisco devices.

However, when I look at the power info, it appears that there should be enough power left to power up a 15.4 Watt AP.

Power Summary                      Maximum

(in Watts)              Used     Available

----------------------   ----     ---------

System Power (12V)        590         617

Inline Power (-50V)       683         710

Backplane Power (3.3V)      0           0

----------------------   ----     ---------

Total                    1273 (not to exceed Total Maximum Available = 1300)

It appears that I have 15 watts available.

Available:710(w)  Used:683(w)  Remaining:27(w)

Interface Admin  Oper            Power(Watts)     Device              Class
                            From PS    To Device
--------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------------- -----

Gi5/36    auto   off        0.0        0.0        n/a                 n/a

Interface  AdminPowerMax   AdminConsumption
             (Watts)           (Watts)
---------- --------------- --------------------

Gi5/36                15.4                 15.4

So, I am just trying to figure out why the switch won't power up this AP.  Now, I do have an injector so, I have a work around but I am wanting to understand whey the switch appears to be giving me conflicting information.  Either that, or I am not understand the output of the sh power commands correctly.

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There could be a safey marging to pfrever overloading the system,

. In any case you need a biiger PoW PS, check table 2.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3dd9.html

yeah, I knew I was getting close.  I just threw in an external injector.  What I was trying to figure out was the "safety measure" that you referred to.  I really didn't see any documentation on it and was just looking for a verification.

In the meantime, I was trying to squeeze out 15 watts and couldn't do it.  I put two 1300s into combined mode and still got no power, which kind of suprised me because I was expecting or hoping that doing so would give me the needed extra 15 watts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card