Helpful
Replies

Int Vlan1 issue

drikilbride
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two custom vlan's 183 and 176.

Everytime I set a mgt ip on Vlan1 and say no shutdown the switch automatically shuts down vlan 183.

Is this suppose to happen?

Its an old Cisco 2950 Switch.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Julio Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

hi drik,

you can only have 1 svi on that switch, even on 2960 , you can only have 1 vlan interface active ( mainly for management)

reason being these are not multilayer switches so yes it is supposed to happen.

So you have to choose which one you want int vlan 1, or 183 or 176, and then do ip default-gateway  if you need to reach other ip subnets.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rob is correct , the 2950 can't do any routing (layer 2) so it doesn't need more than a single ip (vLAN address ) which is used to manage the switch only .  Any routing has to be done by an external layer 3 device such as a router or L3 switch . You can use any vlan you want as the management vlan but only  a single SVI can be active at a time.

So even though vlan 183 isnt a mgt interface I wont be able to set VLAN 1 with a mgt ip as vlan 183 is doing other work and its not a layer 3 switch?

At the moment 183 doesnt have a mgt ip but if i set one on vlan 1 it knocks vlan 1 off.

Thanks guys.

I believe you are confusing layer 2 and layer3  .   You can have many vlans on the switch .  To route between those vlans you need an external layer 3 device to do the routing .  This means you would need a trunk link to a external router or L3 switch which allows the vlans you want to put on the  switch itself.

When you create a "interface vlan X"  that is a switched virtual interface  (L3) and only used to manage the 2950 from an external site. If want to use vlan 1 do not create a " interface vlan 183" .   You can use vlan 1 to manage the switch but the routing has to come from an external device.

switch---------------->trunk link (allowing vlan 1, 183)------------->  router/l3 switch

2950>

conf t

vtp mode transparent

vlan 183

interface vlan 1

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx /mask

exit

ip default gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  -->  vlan 1 router address on the L3 device

interface xx/xx   (interface that connects to router)

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,183

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card